Almost daily diary!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Give me strength not vomit!

Small Sprog had his first day at 'Big School' yesterday. He took it in his stride and went in happily when I dropped him off in the morning. I was due to pick him up and his friend (they are the only 2 children going from his school so safety in numbers!) in the afternoon.

When I got home I decided to make some cakes for them to eat on their journey home to celebrate their first day. Recently things aren't quite turning out as expected here.

The cakes were fine, in fact they came out quite well and I set off back to school in the afternoon hoping they would enjoy them. I was looking forward to hearing their news. However I was met by a very sad Small Sprog who was feeling wretched with a headache. His friend managed 2 cakes but Small Sprog felt too ill.

It's a 30 minute journey between home and school and I could see he was quite poorly, and as he got out of the car he proceeded to vomit on his new shoes! Poor Small Sprog. At least he didn't do it in my car!

He was ill most of the evening but by 10pm had fallen asleep. I had my fingers crossed for a peaceful night when Tall Girl appeared looking less than happy. She had had a sore throat for a few days but I put it down to the excitement and shouting that went on at the concert she attended at the weekend.

"What's the matter?" I asked her, hoping for good news
"I think I've got throat cancer"! She exclaims, tearfully "Like in the picture at the dentists"
I manage to keep a smirk inside. The poor thing does always over react, such a hypochondriac. "It's just a sore throat, let me have a look". Then we performed a little dance with the spotlight in the bathroom and a magnifying mirror. "You'll have to bend your knees" I squeal, teetering on my toes and wobbling all over the place. She is as tall as me now and it's like trying to look down the neck of a giraffe. I get a glimpse of redness, maybe a spot (please don't let it be tonsillitis) I manage to assure her she doesn't have throat cancer and say that if it gets any worse we'll get the doctor to look at it.

Exhausted I slump into my bed. I felt like I'd had a full on night at A&E.

PS. To add insult to injury, when I phoned into school this morning to say Small Sprog had been sick they said I'd have to keep him off for 48 hours. It's the new rules. That means me not being able to work tomorrow and therefore losing a days pay. That's twice this month...great.


nick said...

I suspect SS's nausea and headache were due to the stress of a new school. It seems rather draconian to keep him off school for 48 hours and keep you off work when there's no evidence of any infection. The endless vicissitudes of parenting!

Maggie May said...

Stress of the new school, I should think and school rules seem to be the same here as well. Quite often the child gets over it in an hour or so and then has to have a long holiday before going back to school.
Pity you don't get paid for yours!
Not an easy situation.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Steve said...

Our kid's school has the same rule: keep them off for 48 hours. Fine... except if they were in a hospital they'd be turfed out in less than 12 if the bed was needed!

Rob-bear said...

This is really appalling all round.

Looking for Blue Sky said...

I start to panic when I read about this kind of school rule: Smiley's entire school closed last Friday because a few (don't know how many) kids came down with diarrhoea and vomiting. How do working parents cope?

this is my patch said...

I'd love to have you as a Mum, although you'd have to be in your seventies! x

PS. I hope everyone is feeling better now.

Liz said...

Ooh, last time I was in the dentists they had a television screen and that feature about throat and mouth cancer came on. I don't blame TG; I was terrified and had to not watch it!