Almost daily diary!

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Don't leave yet Archie...


This is Archie, my beautiful Burman cat - known rather unkindly as Stinky Cat due to his litter tray habits.

Since we rescued him in November he has 'blossomed'; his fur looks healthier and he has a sort of cat smile, he is content and has enjoyed the garden since the weather has got warmer and on a rare sunny day he will doze outside under the fennel bush for hours which, for an old boy, is hopefully bliss.

But recently he has become fussy with his food and then at the weekend he stopped eating altogether. He has stopped playing too and become quiet. So yesterday I took him to the vet. It was the first time he'd been in the car since we brought him home and I hoped he didn't think he was about to be abandoned again, it's such a shame that we can't tell them what's going on and vice versa, as he might be able to explain what was wrong.

The vet was the most wonderful person, so genuinely caring and I felt we were in very good hands. Archie was the model of a good cat because there's not a bad bone in his body. She checked him over and took his temperature (ooch!)

To cut a long story short, she gave him some antibiotics and a pill to improve his apatite to start with. If he doesn't improve it could be something much worse and I am stealing myself for the worst. I really can't remember life without him now and I have had a chat with him and told him that it's much too early for him to leave us all just yet.

So today he has eaten, which is good. He has eaten sporadically and little and often and is drinking too -mostly from puddles outside the kitchen door! But there's something not right... The cat smile has gone; he looks uneasy, agitated in a way, he can't settle, he curls up but moves again fairly soon and his breathing looks just a little more laboured than usual - or am I imagining that?

I am not sure how long the pill for his apatite will last. We have an appointment on Friday to see how he's doing so I will just have to wait, but in the meantime I am wishing for his contentment to return.

14 comments:

Maggie May said...

Oh no.... much too soon for him to leave. I have had pets like that and then they recover. Not sure how old he is but cats can live a tremendously old age. My oldest was 21 when he had to be put down.

Archie is such a lovely cat and I love his white paws.
Do you think he's had some kind of fright?
We have hungry foxes milling round our house.
Hoping his appetite returns to normal very soon.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Suburbia said...

He's rarely outside without me so I'm not sure if he's had a fright but I must admit I hadn't thought of that.
Unfortunately, because he's a pedigree cat, he's not going to have such a long life as a moggie would. We also don't know exactly how old he is. I'm hoping he will improve though.

Rob-bear said...

So sorry to hear this, Sub.

I am not a Cat person at all. But I do hate to see creatures suffer, and people suffer who have been good to other creatures.

I do hope Archie picks up in short order.

Blessings and Bear hugs, for all of you.

NitWit1 said...

Og Ido hope Archie resumes his appetite and spirit. And he is so beautiful.

I have know very old cats, but only a few pure bred ones.

In dogs it seems the larger they are their longevity os shorter. and Many pure breeds have a multiplicity of medical events just waiting to happen.

I now have a medium large (40#) rescue dog of unknown origin whose age is estimated at abou 13.5 years. She is showing her age but still quite active and alert.

Bossybessy said...

Sorry to hear Stinky is unwell.
Cats get ill just like we do , but its easy to think the worst especially since you probably dont know his life history . They are so precious to us .Anyway think positive, pedigree cats can have long lives, one of my Siamese was 21 when she died and she had a few spells of illness in her life that she bounced back from
Am keeping my fingers crossed for you (and Stinky)X

Steve said...

Keeping my fingers crossed - cats are naturally hardy and born fighters.

BS5 Blogger said...

Stay with us Archie Parch! :-0 x

Looking for Blue Sky said...

So sad, especially as he can't tell you where it hurts xx

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

So many questions..but hopefully all will end well :)

lilacrose said...

Oh no, wishing you a speedy recover smelly cat, a quick return to your cheeky ways. Be positive Suburbia, Archie needs lots of cuddles.

nick said...

It doesn't sound too good to me but what do I know about cats? I hope the others are right and he'll rally and recover. Fingers crossed.

Akelamalu said...

I'm not a 'cat person' but Archie truly is beautiful. I hope the antibiotics and appetite pill work and it is nothing more serious. x

Liz Hinds said...

Oh no! Get well soon, Stinky Cat. Hope the latest trip to the vet's was positive.

Rose said...

I do hope that Archie is feeling better by now; it's so hard when they can't tell you what hurts. Such a handsome fellow--I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him.