Almost daily diary!

Monday, July 09, 2012

Gone

Such a beautiful boy,

The smallness of his little life snuffed out in an instant as the needles' contents infuse slowly into his leg.

Gone in a second, his body lies empty, a case, a shell with the essence lost suddenly from within him.

It seems so amazing (as I gaze upon the empty body) that we are all made up of something we cannot see, for when it is gone the body is but an object.

Where did it go, that essence of him?

Is it in that small place in the garden under the rosemary bush or behind the fennel where he used to nap?

Or in the corner by the fence where he would bake for a while in the sun?

Or is it on the landing where he found comfort last night?

Or on my bed, that lovely warm lump curiously heavy, by my legs in the waking hours of the dark?

Everywhere I look there is a trace of him, a memory, a feeling and now a loss.

I clean out his bowls for the last time,

Gather up his toys

and store them away.

My beautiful boy, at peace now.


11 comments:

Steve said...

So, so sorry.

Maggie May said...

Oh no. I feel heartbroken for you. He is was so beautiful. I am really, really sorry.

I have also noticed whether it is an animal or a person that at the point of death the personality that made them unique disappears and leaves behind a carcass completely devoid of the personality. I believe it is the soul that vanishes.

Gosh..... I am sorry.
Hugs......Maggie X

Nuts in May

Tattieweasle said...

I am so sorry. The emptiness will feel like hell I know. I hate it that we fall for them so hard without ever really meaning to and that we are left bereft when they go on. As a child my Gran used to say they had shorter lives than us so that they would be there to meet us when it was our turn - I still believe.
HUGS
Tattie

Rob-bear said...

So sorry to hear this, Sub. I recall having to do the same with our other dogs. There is a kindness in that deep sadness, doing for him what was needed.

How are TG and SS doing with the loss? Well, I hope.

Blessings and Bear hugs, to all.

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Even after all our "chats" over this, and knowing it has happened, you have still made me cry.
SO sorry it had to end this way and so soon.
xx

BS5 Blogger said...

Beautiful and sad. Miss him very much too x

Bossybessy said...

Really sorry to hear this news.

x

nick said...

What a lovely account of his ending. And so sad that you don't have his company any more. It is remarkable that somewhere inside every living being is that unique essence that makes us what we are.

Furtheron said...

Lovingly written... sorry to hear

Rose said...

I'm so, so sorry, Suburbia. I went to your Facebook page yesterday morning, hoping for some happier news, but I see that was not to be. Pets have a way of stealing a little bit of our hearts and leaving an empty hole in them when they have to leave. This is such a beautiful tribute to Archie; I hope that your memories of the good times with him will help get you through this.

Hugs,

Rose

Barbara said...

I am so sorry hear you have lost Archie, it is always so sad to lose one of the family.