Almost daily diary!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Always expect the unexpected!

Always expect the unexpected, especially at this time of year. There is something very annoying about New Year, and it's not just the way that the TV programmes are the same every single year for eternity, though that goes some way to explaining it, no its more than that. It is expectation.

Two years ago I had a friend and her family around for a meal, but ended up walking the streets with her, close to midnight, listening to her marriage problems. I expected an uncomplicated evening with food and friendship but got very cold and missed saying Happy New Year to my children.

This year I will miss them too, they are with their dad having a party at the nit children's house. Who'd have thought my lovely children would be out partying all night at barely 14 and 10 whilst I am in bed blogging and having a virtual blog party by myself?!

I've enjoyed visiting you all tonight and leaving my best wishes. I didn't bring the lump of coal because it was making a mess of my keyboard, however I would have loved to have partied with you all and maybe had a drink or two of something nice and sparkly over at yours. However, things are never as you expect and so tonight I think I'll just toddle off and have an almost early night.

See you all next year (at least I'll wake up without a hangover in 2011!)

HAPPY 2011!

12 comments:

Working Mum said...

I'm not a great fan of New Year and usually end up going to bed early and being woken up by fireworks!

Wishing you all the best for 2011

WM x

Miss Sadie said...

Bear is hibernating, but I'm sure he'd join me is wishing you a wonderful 2011. He'll be back in the spring.

nick said...

Happy New Year to you too. I hope you enjoyed your virtual blog party. I certainly did, all those virtual drinks have left me with a dreadful hangover. And just who was that virtual blogger with the eye patch who kept stealing my canapés?

Maggie May said...

Everyone in our house stayed up to say Happy New Year, but the various members of the family were suffering from colds and man flu and were feeling sorry for themselves and a bit grumpy! We had a small glass of wine (adults) and a few nibbles .... nothing fantastic.
Apart from fireworks nothing much happens round here.
Anyway.... Happy New Year. You have come a long way!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Steve said...

I had an early night and feel so much better for it this morning! Wishing you and yours all the best for 2011!

Kitty said...

New Year's Eve does nothing for me. I was in bed reading a good book at midnight, then sent a few texts before going to sleep.

I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful 2011. :) x

Saz said...

happy new year sub....

hope you have a very happy year!

Akelamalu said...

I love New Year's Eve and invariably drink too much and party hard but hey it's only once a year right?

Wishing you a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year m'dear. x

Anonymous said...

We had a quiet New Year Sub, just like you. Sometimes we feel like it a party, sometimes we don't :). May 2011 bring you peace of mind and buoyancy of spirit.

Eternal Worrier said...

Happy belated New Year Sub x

mrsnesbitt said...

Happy New Year hun! We went to SIL and had an indian takeaway - was a good night.

Rose said...

So sorry I wasn't here to celebrate New Year's Eve with you, Suburbia! Husband and I have a tradition with my best friend and her husband to always get together on New Year's Eve for a quiet night of playing cards and chatting...and lots of food, of course. But New Year's Eve is no big deal to me; if we weren't at our friends, we'd probably both be in front of the television or computer and fast asleep by 11 PM:)


I think specific dates aren't that important--your New Year began when you began a new life for yourself, and you can celebrate for having accomplished so much in the past year. I hope this New Year brings you joy and happiness!