Almost daily diary!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Tall Girl Post

Last night, after getting in from my exercise class (if you can call it that!), Tall Girl was still up and about. I was so pleased to see her. I had picked her up from school, dropped her at drama and picked her up later from dance, before depositing her with Husband so that I could go to Pilate's. We were like ships that passed in the night.

As I walked through the front door she asked if she could show me her new dance moves. She did and eventually we danced together, though neither of us really knew the steps! After a few goes around the room she took off on her own in a 'baby giraffe' type of way! I call her that sometimes, my Baby Giraffe. And as I watched her tall gangley body trip around the room I was reminded of when we first moved into this house. I can remember sitting about on Sunday mornings, watching her practice her 'ballet' steps to unsuitable music, hoofing around the table in much of a similar fashion as she did now. She was four years old when we moved here. Wow how she's grown.

It was late by the time I persuaded her to go to bed. We sat on the floor in her room talking girly stuff for ages. We don't get enough time like that, just the two of us. Precious times indeed.

15 comments:

nick said...

Dance moves and girly stuff - sounds very life-affirming. And a chance to forget the gloomy business of divorce for a while.

Maggie May said...

There's nothing quite like a girly evening.
Even now, I enjoy it when my daughter and I get to do that!

Dori said...

I'd say you both needed that!

Furtheron said...

Precious indeed... I feel very much like our family is like the particles in an atom we're all whizing about bound tightly together as a unit but we seem to fly past one another saying "How was school/work?" "Well this and that" "Sorry must go to AA, swimming, night out with girls, drama, school meeting..." "okay see you" etc.

Hmm - word verification is "dents" is that trying to tell me something as well :-)

MissKris said...

Oh, I SO hear you on this one! My daughter was my "Kaiti-kins" just yesterday it seems. This birthday in September she'll be 33. 33!!!!!Where oh where have the years gone?! But take heed...those girly-girl moments never truly disappear. I've had some of my best giggle sessions ever with my daughter. And it's such a blessing...my relationship with my own mother was fraught with all kinds of tensions. I have with my daughter what I wish I could've had with my mom.

Mean Mom said...

Oh, I adore my sons, but I really did want a daughter to dance with (and shop with).

Steve said...

Now that sounds like quality time of the highest order - treasure it and make time to do it again

and1moremeans5 said...

how lovely! my eldest goes to bed later than my other three and that precious hour and a half that we get together just her and me is always wonderful. x

Expat mum said...

I have a tall, gangly (but super-model-ish) teen too. She used to do all that. The great thing is I also have two boys who love to dance - in a very manly, break-dancerish sort of way but it's great when they share it with me! Stop me - I'll be loving kids before you know it!

Liz Hinds said...

Trying to catch up with blog-reading.

Glad you had some good time together. I can imagine TG and you dancing!

Eternal Worrier said...

I remember my girls always wanted me to watch ‘shows’. They’d practice for a while and would then perform the show in the front room. At the time it felt like the show, that would have dancing and singing went on for ages.

Rosaria Williams said...

Good times. Enjoy while you still have them.

Working Mum said...

That sounds lovely, and I'm encouraged that maybe my daughter won't grow out of that stuff too soon then.

Elizabeth said...

My daughter never had dance classes - she did gym instead.
I do love spending time with her.

Rose said...

Enjoy these precious moments together! I can picture the two of you dancing around the living room--those are the special times you'll remember forever.