Almost daily diary!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

The dentist's waiting room

I went to the dentist with the children late yesterday afternoon. As we approached the front door, it sounded more like a nursery school than a dentists surgery. We went inside.

The waiting room was almost full and my heart sank. Small Sprog is not good at waiting. I had no need to worry though. We had no hope of being the center of attention today, that honour was going to go to another mother, the mummy of 3 boys !

Her eldest, who was probably about 9, was sitting on the floor trying to do, what looked like, homework. He was being quiet and good. His brother, perhaps about 7, had a colouring book and a huge tub of felt tip pens (gosh, she must pack for every occasion, I thought) However he was not happy. He wanted to write not draw. "Use the back of the colouring book" said The Patient Mother. "Noooooo" came the reply. He wanted to have 'proper paper' like his brother.

While she was fielding this situation the youngest brother, who was sitting on her lap, was shouting "It doesn't work, it doesn't work!" At the top of his voice and brandishing his Nintendo dangerously in front of his mothers face, his legs kicking furiously and only missing oldest brothers nose by a hairs breadth.

"Use the back of the colouring book" She quietly repeated as middle son scowled at her. She tried to sooth youngest son. The 7 year old then took matters into his own hands and ripped a sheet of paper from his eldest brothers homework book! "Mummmm!" Shouted older brother, and so on......

I couldn't help but stare incredulously, I tried really hard not to, I mean, well, we've all been there; Grumpy children, tired and end of dayish, small room and ages to wait. And I wasn't staring with disapproval, no not at all, it was fascinating! The Patient Mother had a serene, almost saintly, look about her, I was agog. She was unruffled and cool as a cucumber. How did she mange it? As mothers, at one time or another, it has happened to us all and I have to say, I don't think people had ever stared at me, in a similar situation, for my serene looks and saintliness!!

Sadly, not long after we sat down, she was called to room 2. She picked up youngest son with one arm and rammed things in a bag with the other, at the same time she asked middle son to put all his pens away and older son to pick up his homework, whilst simultaneously herding all three boys towards the treatment room door. She managed admirably. In fact she ought to have had a medal for her stress free performance. How did she do it?

Suddenly, I realised my jaw had dropped open. I closed it rapidly, just as Small Sprog began to wail "Mummm, I'm bored!"

15 comments:

none said...

You just described why I hate going to the pediatrician.

I've got three as well and sometimes it takes everything I have to keep them in line.

Kitty said...

Maybe she was just having a good day? I don't know about you, but some days I can deal with 'unruly' a whole lot better than other days!

x

Elizabeth said...

Luckily my children were fairly well behaved.
Bribery works.
If you are good at the store etc etc you will get a PRIZE and people will like you. It works.
Saintly mother sounds very saintly indeed.
I used to be horrible and glare at badly behaved children since I was convinced I could have handles their children better. (HAH!)
I told a rude child off at the nail parlor the other day and told her that she should be polite to her kind mother.........
actually it was the mother's fault for putting up with an 8 year old who did not like her backrub.......
Why am I such an interfering beast?!!!!

Anonymous said...

She sounds too good to be true. Probably when she's at home she loses her rag and screams at them. She certainly hasn't done very well with developing patience, cooperation and improvisation....

Jennysmith said...

Gosh Sub, 3 boys? One does my brain in to be honest.

Yes, she probably saves it all up for when she gets home. wonder if she wants a girl too,

xxxxx

Maggie May said...

She might have been thinking how calm you were and how perfectly you were controlling your son!

Steve said...

Prozac is a wonderful thing and you can't smell it on the breath...

Anonymous said...

It is for this very reason that I am exhausted by the time I reach work at 9am.

The other evening, it was even hard to cajole them into behaving reasonably on a 5 minute walk from the park. I kept saying, "some people take their children round the world you know, I could never have done that with you."

What a fabulous example of the endurance and energy required in mothering.

Anonymous said...

My first thought coincided with Steves's comment, my second was whatever she's on - I want some! Mine are now old enough to behave themselves in waiting rooms but I do remember some stressful times when they were younger - I got lots of stares - not all because they are blond haired blue eyed identical twins I have to confess, twins seem to create chaos even when they are behaving!

Rose said...

She does deserve a medal! I've seen the opposite reactions, too, where I've wanted to intervene, but didn't. I'm still reminded occasionally of what these situations were like for me when I take a few of my grandchildren some place--my goal is always to make it home with as many children as I took:)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

The women who can do that are amazing, are they not?

I'm absolutely certain that you are one of the best mums out there, without a doubt.

HUGS

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Working Mum said...

My aunt had FOUR boys! She said she learned to live in mess and chaos and ignore the smells! I don't know how she did it!

Eternal Worrier said...

Are you old enough to remember the school dentist Sub. Brrrrr... makes me shiver just thinking about it. Was it just an urban myth that they got paid more for each tooth they pulled?

cheshire wife said...

Maybe she wasn't as calm as she looked. Getting worked up doesn't improve the situation.

Casdok said...

Impressive mum especially as they were waiting for a dentist!