Almost daily diary!

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back after a short break!

Whilst driving through quiet country lanes over the last few days we have encountered some very erratic drivers. Holiday drivers husband calls them. The farmer, in whose field we have sheltered in for the last few rainy days, says the Dutch are the worst! He gets a lot of Dutch campers on his site. He says they have straight roads and no hills in Holland, quite the opposite to Exmoor which, I suppose, is why they visit. He says they see something coming around the corner of a single track lane and immediately veer to the right side, forgetting that we drive on the left, the oncoming tractor (driven by the said farmer) also pulls over to their right. The brakes need to be good, especially in the rain. I suspect, on occasions, he also takes the tractor home from the pub!

As we met a tractor the other day, and duly pulled over, we were astonished to see a large vehicle overtake us. The driver didn't seem to see the tractor coming towards her until it had nearly driven through her windscreen. After breaking hard she reversed, smiling and giving us a cheerful wave as she squeezed back, passed our car, to pull in just behind us. Husband mutterer's about the way 'They always smile like that'! And Small Sprog, who doesn't generally miss much in the back, cottons on to whats happening. He carefully considers the situation and then .......
'It's OK Daddy, she was just laughing in the face of death'!
How does he do it?!

11 comments:

Rose said...

Small Sprog is wise beyond his years! Were you camping? Just wondering about spending a couple days in a farmer's field:)
Here in the U.S. we tend to stereotype certain nationalities as bad drivers, too, though not the Dutch. I'm sure it probably has something to do with what they have grown used to. I won't name any group for fear of starting an international incident.
I do know I wouldn't be a safe driver on British roads--I'd be in the wrong lane all the time!

VP said...

Looks like you had an exciting time! We have similar 'incidents' around here with horse boxes!

Tim Atkinson said...

Priceless - and so quick, too! That's why I blog - I can never think of anything smart to say until much, much later.

BS5 Blogger said...

No tractor pictures though, huh?

Glad you had a nice few days and always good to get a Small Sprog perspective on the world.

Just back from a fab' weekend wedding.

Chat soon!

BS5

XXYXX said...

Glad you're back in one piece. Laughing in the face of death is not good. But better to go for the sly smile.

Akelamalu said...

I bet that was scary! Small Sprog's comment was just about right!

Suburbia said...

BS5, Sorry about lack of tractor pics. It's a boy thing!

Rose, I hope I don't cause offence to any Dutch people, it was not my view but the farmers!

Dotterel, ditto!

Bobo, the smile sounds fine, I shall try it.

Akelamalu, I think he has walked this planet before!

Liz Hinds said...

He is a genius! How old is he again?!

I don't know why you can't get on my blog. It is a mystery to me. And you are missing such masterpieces of tragedy and humour brilliantly interwoven such as would make Mr Shakespeare jealous. And, of course, you know how it is: as soon as you can get back on, my writing will revert to its normal mediocrity.

My feet hurt.

Dragonstar said...

It's comments like this that make life worthwhile - as well as leaving you speechless!

Sorry the Rocking Kitten won't co-operate. I'm not techno-savvy, but if there's anything I can do ...

cheshire wife said...

My husband calls then Sunday drivers and I sometimes think that he is one himself.

this is my patch said...

Why do we always smile like that? x