Almost daily diary!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Summers End

The summer is my favourite time of year. I love the warmth and the promise of holidays, the leafy green fullness of the trees and the sweet smell of wild roses, the long hours of daylight and being able to wear fewer clothes. But towards the end of August it all feels a little sad. The leaves have an undeniable tinge of yellow, the days are noticeably shorter and the air in the morning has the fresh smell that heralds the stomach wrenching return to school. The summer is nearly finished, all good things come to an end and, although it feels as though it will last forever, it is over too soon, gone for another year, faded, slipping off towards the south leaving a little cold patch in my heart. Regret, unfulfilled wishes and dreams and a longing to stop the seasons, the days, the clock. Just one more beautiful day, just one more everlasting summers day. But it is too much to ask.

Then I take a walk.
It is late August, and the leaves on the trees have an undeniable tinge of yellow but the bushes are heavy with fruit. There are Blackberries aplenty, rose hips of the most magnificent vermilion. There are apples, elderberries, damsons and plums. There are Sloes, with the promise of warmth in the winter, just prick them all over and steep in gin with sugar and they will warm you in the most bleak of cold winter days. It is a time to gather and hoard. To take in the end of this summer and keep it with you, a chance to stop time. Just for a while. Just until you can accept the oncoming of winter, and the cold that it brings.

14 comments:

Suzysoo said...

Oh you are so right. It's exactly how I feel about it as well. I always get teary at this time of year. Once the two big kids birthdays are done.

swilek said...

I love your post and the reminder to enjoy the moments of the summer before they slip past us for another year. I was thinking about this today as it is soooo hot and humid. I am not a fan of humidity. But, I had to stop and say...this is much better than the cold and snow of winter!!:) I need to enjoy the moment! So, thank you!

Rose said...

Beautifully written, Suburbia! You are very poetic today; your description of the ripe fruits is very Keats-like:)

I always hated to see the end of summer, but that was because it meant the start of school and the hectic pace I had to keep up with once again. But fall is such a beautiful season, too.

Sounds like you have had a wonderful time this past weekend with your family. Is the Friday photo near your home? Oh, how heavenly!
My weekend turned out to be a little bit like your holiday to Cornwall without the rain, though. I had a pity party for myself on Friday, but didn't invite anyone:)

Lindsay said...

According to weather pundits we could have some good weather in September - so perhaps all is not lost!

this is my patch said...

This is a lovely piece of writing. I am always so excited at the start of summer and when it comes to an end I often feel so let down, the months seem to pass by so quickly, and half the things planned haven't come to fruition. Autumn is a lovely time of year though, as are all the seasons, although it would be nice if we could keep the long days, how I hate those clocks going back in October. x

XXYXX said...

Count yourself lucky. My lazy arsed Scotterish leaves have already started to fall. Grizzles!

Akelamalu said...

You summed up the end of summer perfectly. I'm always sad to see it go. :(

Can Bass 1 said...

My word, that's very poetic. And on the subject of poetry, don't forget that we're in (or near) the 'mists and mellow fruitfulness' time of year. Doesn't that make it better?

Anonymous said...

What a wondefully, descriptive post!! I was captivated by it! Superb! It is a shame when summer turns to autumn, (unless it's too hot!!), but of course, autumn brings with it all the glorious colours and smells. Autumn is the season for me :-)

Peter

Wuthering said...

I would love to stop time at August. the winter is brutal! i live in the Northern US. eventually i stop taking off my winter jacket.

take care!

Liz Hinds said...

That is very beautiful writing. I always think it's the period immediately before something changes that is worst. So, just before the children go back to school is worse than when they've gone, and things like that.

Suburbia said...

Now you mention it Liz, you're right. just before the children go back to school (soon) I feel bereft. I know when they're back I shall settle down into the same old routine (sadly)

cheshire wife said...

Beautifully written. My sentiments entirely. I dislike the end of summer and it already seems to be Autumn here.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Beautifully written.
I don't know if you've heard it (you probably have - it's been played on the Olympics) but the song One Day Like This, by Elbow, totally sums up a gorgeous summer's day for me.