Almost daily diary!

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fruity day!

Yesterday was a good day. A good family day. Three generations, mum, me and the children - or as she prefers to say (she insists on being grammatically correct) - mum, the children and I!

We picked fruit (again) in the morning and the weather stayed dry, which is all you can expect at the moment, and she fed us and we played! We were all in good company, happy and relaxed. I like it like that.

However today I have mountains of fruit to sort out!! Small Sprog can't stop picking when he gets going so we have far more than we need but that's all part of the fun! He makes up for Tall Girl who is afraid of the wasps so 'hovers' rather than picks!

So far I have made raspberry jam, blackberry and apple crumbles and a little strawberry jam as well as freezing some raspberries and blackberries oh and some stewed apples (which I forgot for a while when they were cooking but rescued just in time!). Phew!

I have also cooked one tea towel, now very hole ridden, drunk water out of 'leaf cups' (kindly served by Small Sprog), made tiny sandwiches for Small Sprogs teddy friends (!) and watched the children's 'fashion show' (directed and performed mostly by Tall Girl) which they chose to perform in the hallway. The house is a tip and I am trying to get them to put it all away. Easier said than done.

The sky is blue and we are deliberating on going away for the weekend to catch the sun. It could, of course rain instead but who knows?

11 comments:

Akelamalu said...

What a lovely family day you had, and all that fruit saved for a taste of summer in winter eh?

Oh go on, go away and take a chance on the weather!

Lindsay said...

Gosh - you are busy!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

That all sounds absolutely delightful.
I'll take the leftover fruit.

I try to stay out of the kitchen whenever possible. I set fire to it 4 times last year.

;o)

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Barbara said...

Sounds like a very productive busy day, I hope you can find fine weather all weekend.

XXYXX said...

Sounds lovely, in a Woman's Institute sort of way (the WI in Otley, were I used to live, made the most fantastic Rhubarb and Ginger Jam: Yum and much toasty happiness!

Tim Atkinson said...

Yeah, go for it - it's going to be a long winter!!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds very English to me!
The more crumble the better.
Happy weekend.

Suburbia said...

Hi Akelamanu, I think I was a squirrel in a past life!
we didn't go away in the end.

Scarlett lol!

Bobo, please! I'm not quite old enough for the WI yet darling:)

Dotterel, didn't make it in the end.

Elizabeth sadly suburban?!

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Yep. I would go away if poss. This weather is awful at the moment. Heaven help us if we have ANOTHER rainy summer next year!!

Maggie May said...

A lovely family scene you painted there! Lovely to share it with you.

Liz Hinds said...

What an incredibly domestic goddess you are!

I am like your mum: I go funny about grammar. Howvere sometimes I deliberately choose to say 'me and the dog', for example, because it sounds more natural and informal. I justify it by saying that it's only when you know the rules can you break them. But I still feel as if I ought to put an explanatory note on my blog - if that's where I'm writing - to say I dokknow this is wrong but etc. so people don't think I'm ignorant. Is that very anal?