Almost daily diary!

Saturday, August 23, 2008

How The Other Half Used To Live!

.......Or two trains and a bus!
We went here today by train from our local station changing at Temple Meads and then catching a bus from the centre of Bath. The Garden is called Prior Park, this is the blurb about it:

One of only four Palladian bridges in the world can be crossed at Prior Park, which was created in the 18th century by local entrepreneur Ralph Allen, with advice from 'Capability' Brown and the poet Alexander Pope. The garden is set in a sweeping valley where visitors can enjoy magnificent views of Bath. Recent restoration of the 'Wilderness' has reinstated the Serpentine Lake, Cascade and Cabinet.

I got quite excited about the bridge! One of only 4 in the world! And it was truly magnificent too. Apparently old Ralph sat on his stately pile watching the stone (which was quarried from his own land) trundle down the hill on his own railway, to the canal below. He had it all sorted really. Those were the days!

Anyway it was a fantastic day out. Small Sprog was over the moon about the train trips especially with the added bonus of a bus at the end (which was very overpriced just for a short trip uphill!). I must admit the train though the city offers a great alternative view of Bristol. Tall Girl was frightened of the tunnels! They made her ears pop and she was afraid she would go deaf!! She could worry for England that one! Husband had a good day until he used the portaloo at the bottom of the garden walk, the worst he's ever been in apparently, eeeww! But there again poor Capability would turn in his grave if he knew a portaloo was loitering behind a tree on on of his landscapes. Perish the thought!
We 'gelled' together as a family today. We haven't done that for quite a while now. It's amazing what the magic of an amazing bridge can do.

10 comments:

Dori said...

Once again, you have sent me Googling! Did you know that someone has organized and mapped out a long distance walk--Palladian Way--that connects all four bridges? Think the family would be up for that?

BS5 Blogger said...

There's a clever comment about the bridge being metaphorical for family gelling, but I can't quite articulate it! I am glad SS enjoyed top transport action!

Akelamalu said...

When I was a child it was buses and trains everywhere and to have a ride in a car was magical. Today our grandchildren go everywhere by car and to get a ride on a bus or a train is a real treat! LOL

ChrisB said...

I have never been to Prior Park even though we don't live that far away. My hubby actually works at the stone mines where all the stone came from. They are busy trying to make them safe so that all the houses built above don't fall in!

Anonymous said...

Sub,

it looks amazingly peaceful and serene. Lovely. So glad you managed to have a lovely time with your family.

Peter

Grit said...

gracious! i am impressed! a family train trip is like a ticket to disaster over here. well done! this gives me hope!

Suburbia said...

Dori, I will have to google that walk myself. I think it might nor go down well with the children!

BS5, I know you're int bridges, but suspected they your version would be a rather larger variety.

Akelamanu, funny how things come full circle


Chris B that is very interesting, it brings the history up to date!

Thanks Peter and Grit it was fun so take heart!

Saz said...

Great post...its amazing how much a trip out together build or rebuilds them thar bridges you were talking about..

my mum has done OU, gotten her degree in her 70's
check her out

id is moannie and MEG:BOOK ONE

saz x

Liz Hinds said...

Only four in the world? Gosh, that is really special.

I'm glad you had such a good day. Tell Tall Girl my ears have gone funny and will not pop for me at all in spite of me stretching my mouth in all directions, and holding my nose and blowing and all the other things that are guaranteed to make them pop. I'd better find a tunnel.

cheshire wife said...

I did not realise that Prior Park was open to visit. The husband of one or my friends used to teach at the school. Bath is beautiful. I spent three years at Claverton Down and I love the place. It is amazing to think how much life those wonderful Georgian buildings must have seen.