Almost daily diary!

Saturday, February 07, 2009

The night before the cat returns......

Tonight is my last night of freedom (I still have 2 Walnut Whips left, impressed huh?!) and today it dawned on me that I have enjoyed the last few days very much, even more than I expected to.

I was floating about the house this morning, realising how 'at home' I felt and how I had not felt that way here for such a long time, when I realised, 'This is how it should be all the time'!

I have enjoyed the childrens company no end, and I had a bonus day with them yesterday to boot. I can't say we have done anything in particular, we've just milled around happily together. I think one of the best things about not having Husband around is that I haven't had to clock watch or rush about. I can wash my hair and dry it without being expected to stop half way through the task! It hasn't mattered that we have had late breakfast, or that we are later home than expected. I haven't had to say what time we are going to be home for tea and it hasn't mattered that we have eaten curry tonight, watching TV!

Small Sprog went to a party this afternoon. I picked him up at 6pm. Another mum, who I had not met before, asked me if he was mine. I hesitated before answering!! What had he done now? Anyway, I thought I ought to own up and when I did she showered him with complements. No really! I mean, well, he used to be a bit of a loose cannon when he was younger. I could always rely on Tall Girl to behave properly wherever I took her, from a very early age, but he was not so reliable. However today he seems to have excelled! She complemented him on being a 'gentleman'! At aged 9 that's quite something! Anyway, whether he was or not, it did make me 'glow' inside.

While he was at the party, Tall Girl and I did some girly shopping. It was fun being with her, having time and going into all the shops that she wanted to visit. We didn't have much of a plan but time flew by and she was such good company.

Every night since he left, Husband has rung to say goodnight to the children. Other times when he has worked away he does the same, the children know the routine. However usually the phone is passed to me after they have finished talking to him. I have noticed, this time, that Tall Girl has taken charge of the phone these last few nights, taking it form Small Sprog and not putting me in the position of having to speak to him. She has just said goodnight and hung up. How grown up and understanding is that? She and I have not talked about it, but there is an acknowledgement there somewhere, that things have changed and that she can cope......I think.......I hope.


19 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds as if you are breathing a little more freely!

Maggie May said...

Sounds like you need space. Glad that you have enjoyed the weekend and that Tall Girl is so grown up and that she is sheltering you. Also that Small Sprog is such a credit to you!
Looks like things are working out for every one.

Mean Mom said...

I'm glad that you've enjoyed the last few days. It's good to just let things happen, sometimes, as far as you can, anyway. Go out when you're ready, eat when you're hungry, come back when you feel like it, etc. It's relaxing. In face, you might have given me an idea for a post. I'll have to think about it.

I do miss having a girl to go shopping with. I used to love shopping with my mother on a Saturday afternoon, when I was a teenager.

BS5 Blogger said...

You sound like you have gone through a (non-scary) car wash this week, emerging bright, shining, gleaming and ready to go!

Dori said...

Isn't it amazing the difference just a little bit of peace can bring?

Sitting here typing this I just realized that your rain painting is actually, well, raining. How cool is that?

Brett said...

That all sounds so much more positive.

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Freedom..
feels good :)
And yes, it should be like that.
Solo mothering is a pain when things are not running smoothly, but can be very liberating when you realise you can now say how you would like things to happen and when! I guess I knew I was in a better relationship second time round when I became aware that all the things you mention were relaxed despite his presence in the home...

Lakeland Jo said...

your posts sound a lot lighter and a lot happier

Letty - A Little Girl With A Curl said...

Children cope sometimes much better than we give them credit for.

I am pleased you had a good weekend, and it kinda proves you need this time and space.

Tall Girl is very mature for her age, I found my girl matured much younger than the two boys.

Oh, and I just knew Small Sprog would turn into a Gentleman!

It is the way we bring them up I am sure of it! Having two of my own rather wonderful gentlemen home with us this weekend.

Take care, Letty ;0)))))

Who should be starting preparations for cooking Sunday lunch, but as usual got caught up with blog reading!

Kitty said...

I'm glad you have enjoyed your time alone with the kids. After my ex had left, it took me a good couple of weeks to get used to the fact that he wasn't going to walk in at any moment. It's lovely to just be able to 'be' yourself, isn't it? Good luck for this week! x

Steve said...

Sounds like the sense of space has meant far more to you than the walnut whips... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love the feeling of milling about with the kids, and how wonderful to enjoy girly shopping with Tall Girl.

Bobo and I are thinking of you, {Suburbia}.

Working Mum said...

Looks like you had some space and learned to relax a little. Tall girl does sound mature for her age; credit to you.

Akelamalu said...

You've obviously done a grand job of raising your kids.:)

Tall girl sounds very mature and that is probably down to you. Take the credit m'dear. x

Anonymous said...

Glad you've enjoyed the much-needed break.

A gentleman? I didn't know anyone used the word any more, what a huge compliment! I conjure up a very dapper individual with a top hat and a cane, ushering a woman with a voluminous dress into a waiting hansom cab. No, that can't be right.

Rose said...

What a change I've noticed in these last few posts--here's wishing you more happy, peaceful days ahead, Suburbia! You should be very proud of your children, and I'm sure you are--it doesn't surprise me that someone else would see Small Sprog as a little gentleman, and Tall Girl is quite a mature young woman.

Nicky said...

Tall Girl sounds like she is a very mature young lady and is understanding what is going on. You also sound more relaxed. Little by little it will get easier

cheshire wife said...

Your children sound like they are a credit to you. Enjoy their company whilst you can. Sounds like you have made the most of few days breathing space.

Gledwood said...

Princess Diana, in her later years, had a Walnut Whip hairstyle...