Almost daily diary!

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Sticky Position

Last week someone backed into my car when it was parked outside work. I walked back to my car at lunchtime and there was a big dent in the bumper. My heart sank but then I noticed a note stuck to the window, the driver had left their contact details.

Everyone, including the insurance company, have told me how lucky I was that details were left. I already knew that, in fact I almost thanked the person for backing into my car because I was so grateful that they didn't just drive off! How sad it is though that leaving your details is now thought of as unusual and no longer just what anyone would do automatically?

Anyway, the insurance sorted it and I kept my no claims, for what its worth. The garage came to pick the car up and dropped it back yesterday. Just before they took it I had to empty it of all personal effects. Wow, what a whole load of cr*p there was to clear and mostly throw away. I left a stick in the back, or maybe it was under a seat and when they returned the car the man showed me around the car and there was the stick. He looked at me in a strange way, I could tell he was wondering why I carried a stick around with me. "Oh" I said, by way of explanation "It's my sons stick, he thinks he's a dog, though now we've got a cat he seems to just miaow a lot". The man looked at me; I could tell he was slightly unnerved "Just sign here madam" he said and made a hasty exit. Hey ho...

5 comments:

BS5 Blogger said...

Wonderful !

nick said...

How refreshing that the other driver was actually conscientious enough to leave their details. Too many people seem to think nothing of sneaking away in a hurry. Jenny's car has a football-shaped dent in the back but of course nobody ever owned up to kicking the football.

DD's Diary said...

My children also used to fill the car with sticks - and they are girls. It's totally normal, no? No?? x

Rose said...

Ha, ha, loved this story! Obviously, the repairman doesn't have kids, or this would have seemed perfectly logical to him:)

How nice of the other driver to leave his contact information, but yes, it's sad that that is so unusual these days. Glad all was taken care of so quickly.

Liz Hinds said...

Seems perfectly normal to me. I was searched in prison today and was wondering how I was going to explain the big stone in my pocket. Fortunately the officer didn't notice it cos of all the other junk ...