Almost daily diary!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

I love this bloggy thing!

My Internet connection crashed again today. Bugger. Although it was sunny here and much too nice to be indoors anyway, but it did mean I couldn't check my comments until this evening. Eventually, when I was reconnected, I opened my blog and dah-dahhhhhhhhh! Lots of helpful comments about how to get the smell of sick out of the carpet! I just laughed my socks off.

So I thought I would share some of the suggestions with you and Tall Girls thoughts on the matter.

1. Vinegar (Tall Girl thought CHIPS!)

2. Vinegar and water (CHIPS AGAIN)

3. Something industrial strength! (I thought I might ask for this in our local shop that sells everything. "Do you have some industrial de-vomiter?" I might say and do you know I bet they would have some!)

4. Good luck! (I'm fresh out of that!)

5. Carpet cleaner (If only I had some, I'm sure I had some once, I think it's just at the back of the......)

6. Baking soda mixed into a paste with water (Tall Girl likes mixing and was keen on this one)

7. Bicarbonate of soda in warm water sponged on the carpet (Tall girl suggested we mix the soda with number 1. It would make a great eruption if nothing else!)

8. An enzyme cleaner from the pet store, if it gets out cat pee , it'll get out vomit smell!! (Might keep the nits at bay too if she gets them again)

9.Febreeze or some soapy stuff. (Tried it. The trouble is the sweet smell of the Febreeze doesn't completely mask the sick smell. It's a bit like putting deodorant on already sweaty armpits!)

But this was my favourite from Peter:

10. And about the carpet smell (he wrote)- all I could suggest would be to get a new carpet! Or as my dad would do - cut around the smelly bit and then replace it with some spare, original carpet!

I'd love to meet his dad!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment and not just about the smelly situation but also all the supportive comments about Small Sprogs education. I love this bloggy thing.

So these are for you. Thanks so much. Although if you are feeling a bit queasy because of the smell then don't worry, I've left the windows open and I'm sure one of the suggestions above will work sooner or later!

18 comments:

Dori said...

Oooo....candy! Thanks, I think I'll just help myself. And then you can just let everyone else know that you meant to post a picture of an empty box! :D

MissKris said...

I'm glad she was keen on my suggesion, haha! We have a product here in the US called "Resolve" that is also a wonder-worker. I've used it the times Miss Chloe dog has had 'accidents' and it does an amazing job on taking the 'poopy' smell away...I forgot about it when I suggested the soda paste earlier. Thanks for stopping by. I wish I COULD write down a recipe for my macaroni salad. A bit of this, a bit of that, but nothing specific. When my brain isn't so fried from our heat, I'll give it a whirl. And I love this Bloggy Thing as well!

BS5 Blogger said...

Hello happy Sub!

Nice to see you all sunshiney and full of de-vomiting buzz!

BS5 :)

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! I got an honourable mention :-)
It's so true about the carpet thing - when our cat started ripping up a piece of the living room carpet (right in the middle of the room - strange), all my dad did was to cut round it and then put a new piece in place. It got rid of the scratches, but then we had to contend with the edges standing up and tripping over it!

Peter

Casdok said...

I use baking soda for al sorts of smells!!

Suburbia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suburbia said...

Dori....enjoy, I won't tell anyone!

BS5, no post this am? You must still be cross!

Peter, your dad sounds funny! In the middle of the room? ....inspired!!!

Casdok, that's my next thing to try!

Rose said...

I'm feeling a bit ill today; do you think I could have caught Tall Girl's "bug"? So I'll pass on the candy, but thanks.

Susan said...

I am glad you have had lots of suggestion but you must let us know which of these things worked. If all else fails find some lavender oil~might not fix the smell but it will soothe you and you won't care that there is a smell!

Kitty said...

Glad to hear Tall Girl is now well enough to laugh at suggestions for getting rid of HER smell.

x

Akelamalu said...

Righty I looked this up in my trust Bicarbonate of Soda book. It says:

Air freshner for carpets: Equal proportions of Bicarbonate of Soda and cornflour sprinkled on a smelly carpet at night. Vacuum the powder off in the morning and the smell should be gone.

If that doesn't work can you get a new carpet????

Working Mum said...

Ooo thank you for the sweeties. Not sure I deserve them though, I just did sympathy. btw I'm having problems with my internet connection now, is it catching?

this is my patch said...

Crikey, what have I missed! I have had no internet connection since last Thursday and have had terrible trouble getting back on line, no help from AOL, ended up working out the problem myself after days of pulling my hair out! I hope I am back in blogland now, lots to catch up on. x

Brett said...

The good thing for sick on the carpet in a 4 course Indian meal with 10 pints of strong larger

Maggie May said...

Glad you are getting rid of the smell. It would have gone by itself anyway, given time! Glad tall girl is feeling better.
Sweeties were delicious!

Suburbia said...

Brett, yep I see where you're going, yuck!

Louise, that's a long time with out blogging, you must have withdrawl symptoms by now!

Hi working mum, sympathy was good, I needed that too. Yes it is catching I think, louise too (above!)

Akelamalu, that sounds the best yet!! (Take 2 sweeties!!) I've tried the soda and water but making it wet again brings out the smell a bit more!!

Hi Kitty, I think she's grown accustomed to the smell now though!

Hi Susan, I have tried the lavender oil, still vague undertones of vomit though!

Rose sorry to hear you're feeling poorly.

blogthatmama said...

I'm hoping Peter's dad lives near us, he's very inventive! The smell is awful, isn't it - I think it just takes quite a bit of time, I'm afraid.

Barbara said...

Its so annoying when the internet doesn't work, we have become very dependent on it, especially at work. Glad its back so you can blog again. With all that help your carpet must be sweet smelling by now!