Almost daily diary!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Extremes

It has been a strange week, full of lovely pleasures. However reality has it that there are always lows to match, after all, one can't go along on one big high forever, it would be exhausting besides anything else.

So this afternoon I am enduring a low.

I have just waved goodbye to my two lovely children. They are off for a long weekend to Cornwall with Husband and his family, they are excited and want to go to the beach.

I had 10 minutes precious time with them, between picking them up from school and saying goodbye as they left with their Dad. It wasn't enough. I hugged them and squeezed them and told them how much I love them. I fussed around them, making sure they had remembered the things they might need. Did Tall Girl want her favourite and most comfy pants? Did Small Sprog want to wear shorts or trousers, did he need his dragons?

I hugged them again (not the dragons)

I gave Small Sprog a little tube of bubble mixture as he departed, he was blowing bubbles out of the car window as they reversed off the drive. I smiled a big smile, waved with both hands and then blew kisses, wishing that the bubbles would last forever.

They have gone now, my babies and the bubbles. I put on a pretty good show I think, they will never know I am crying inside.


18 comments:

Reasons said...

Oh dear. I'm down too, let's go down the pub. What'll it be for you? x

Anonymous said...

I have just said goodbye to mine for a fortnight. I know how you feel. sending hugs xxx

Jennysmith said...

Can I come too? Mines a babycham
(do they do babycham anymore?) and can we sit outside so I can smoke?

Feel for you, Sub, I really do.

xxxx

Elizabeth said...

Yes, a nice glass of red wine and some sympathetic friends...........
or cake and lots of it
HUGS

Maggie May said...

This is really difficult but I suppose that as you get more used to it, it will just be a way of life.
Take heart. Wipe those tears and then do something that you really want to do, just for you. :-).

cycling through vietnam: my cancer diary said...

A long weekend will pass. Fill it with things that will recharge your batteries. My little boy is still away - I will see him again on Wednesday. It seems so long, I'm not sure we will even recognise each other by the time he gets back. All or nothing parenting...

Steve said...

The pain will grow a little less... at the very least it will soon be replaced by anticipation of their return. In the meantime try to see the intervening space as "me time" for yourself...

Rosaria Williams said...

You'll have to find something to keep you very busy until they return. They will. They will talk about how much fun they had, and you will cry a bit more because they didn't even miss you. (They did; but they will never admit to that!)

Letty - A Little Girl With A Curl said...

oh God, I feel soooooooooooo much for you Suburbia!

I cannot imagine your pain.

Well, sadly I can, and I still don't want to feel it.

Letty xxxx

Eternal Worrier said...

You’re not the only one. The pub sounds a good idea. They’ll both be back before you know it. x (the word verification says jorker... sounds like a fat, funny person) Porker / Joker ....ged it?

cheshire wife said...

The weekend will soon be over and they will be home again. The ups would not be ups if we did not have downs to go with them.

Rose said...

Wish I could come have a glass of wine with you...you could cry all you want, and then maybe we could blow bubbles to feel better.

nick said...

Ten minutes is awful short, but they'll be back. Meanwhile, enjoy all that fabulous Me time and when they return they'll find a pampered, grinning, totally refreshed mummy!

Furtheron said...

The time apart makes the time together all the more precious

Suburbia said...

Thank you all very much. It is just as well we are virtual friends otherwise we'd spend a lot of time drowning our sorrows and eating cake!You cheered me up :)

Hulla, mine are off for 2 weeks around the time yours return. Hope your child free includes some Bobo time too :)

Rose, I wish you were closer too.

Thanks EW hee hee......

Biscuit, yep it is, there's never a balance is there? Well not yet anyway.

OK I'm off......see you down the pub in 10?!

Saz said...

why is it we are either crying inside, screaming inside and only happy in rare moment son the outside, l shall have to ponder this...

btw, since recovering my laptop l cannot find any gmail chat anywhere to download, so cant talk to you all..

this is my patch said...

You've got me blubbering now! I don't have kids, but was always close to my parents, so I understand the emotion. They will be back soon, tired and excited, with lots of tales to tell. I bet you can't wait! x

Barbara said...

Oh these are the worse times when the children go off without you, I hope the weekend is a good one, enjoy the time you have to yourself.