Almost daily diary!

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Small Sprog grows up.

Back to last Monday again; the phone call that brought the news of Mums hospital visit arrived just after Tall girl had left for camp but Small Sprog was still at home. After I put the phone down I cried, a lot. It was shock I guess. The big sort of sobbing type crying that I really don't do very often at all, and never in front of the children. Small Sprog looked at me with a very strange expression on his face. He really didn't know what to make of his mummy crying so badly. Then, he reached over to me and held me tight, really tight and I felt better.

I told him that I was upset because Granny was poorly but there was nothing for him to worry about. Now who was keeping secrets?! He looked as though he understood completely, we got ready for school and off we went.

Later on in the evening when I heard the good news about her results he was listening into our conversation, unbeknown to me. When I put the phone down he came over to me and hugged me really hard, looked deep into my eyes, we acknowledged what had nearly happened, and without words, everything was good with the world.

He is my Hero.

16 comments:

Saz said...

oh bugger now you've set me off. There is something so grown up and manly about a little boy comforting his mum. My tall boy, ll 6ft and a qtr inch of him, sometimes places his hand on my forehead when I have a migraine, I swear I feel better. Im sure if l was very ill, the heat and love from the kids could make me better.

Rosaria Williams said...

Oh! He's sweet and endearing, your sprog. May he stay this sweet and understanding forever.

Elizabeth said...

He sounds like a most super young man!
Thank goodness the results were less awful than they might have been.
Thinking of you.

Maggie May said...

That boy will make a wonderful husband to some lucky girl. He is learning empathy.
Hope you are well & truly over the shock now.

BS5 Blogger said...

What goes around comes around; he is your son and you created him! :) x

nick said...

What a very mature and grown-up response. You must have felt very comforted and reassured.

menopausaloldbag (MOB) said...

It's breathtaking the pure love that children have for others. That hug must have meant more to you than anything. Howloevly that you have taught your young boy to be affectionate - I hope he never loses that.

Maternal Tales said...

What a gorgeous post - and what a truly gorgeous son you have. I'm so pleased your Mum's results came back ok...hang on in there xx

Steve said...

A very empathic little boy - he'll go far.

Furtheron said...

He's clearly a great boy.

Some 5 years ago a 13 year old boy sat opposite me - we'd not seen each other for a few weeks and not spoken to each other either.

He looked me straight in the eye and held my attention...

"So Dad is this rehab going to work then?" "I think so son" "That's good then, where do we get lunch around here?"

Not a month before he could barely bring himself to mutter at me let alone speak to me.

I was utterly humbled.

Carol said...

Awww, I had tears in my eyes reading that!! Congratulations on raising such a lovely boy....you should be very proud of him (and of you!!)

C x

Rose said...

What a sweet story, Suburbia. You've taught him well--a kind heart and empathy for others is the most important value we can give our children. Small Sprog is a hero in my book, too!

Suburbia said...

That's a fantastic story Furtheron. Wonderful how children can be forgiving and accepting.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post and lovely boy,

GG

Liz Hinds said...

Double bless him!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I think that perhaps you are his as well.
;o)
Glad to hear that your mum is getting good health news.

~HUGS~

Scarlett & Viaggiatore