Almost daily diary!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Wedding Anniversary

I was driving along in the car with Tall Girl last week, on the way to fetch Small Sprog, when she asked me what the date was. I thought for a minute. I mentally counted the days since my birthday.
'It's the 24th June' I concluded
'Thanks' she replied and then started to burble away. But I wasn't listening after that.

The 24th June. It was already past 4pm and I had not really noticed the date at all, and now I had been reminded. It came to me out of the blue. A date once fondly remembered.

I wondered when exactly it was that he started to forget. When did he forget to send a card for the first time? After the first baby, more likely the second. I can't remember when it was, but I do remember the hurt. And then again, when did I give up remembering? When did I stop marking the event? When did I make a conscious decision to forget?

For me the forgetting was self defence. Yet now I have truly forgotten with no effort at all. Not a second thought last week until the date was mentioned. All that time, all those years, once fondly remembered. How strange to forget.

14 comments:

Saz said...

you've tweaked the layout again....looks lovely...

its good to know we forget..cos l'm all about remembering ...

good things not the bad...

glad you are getting there...read back to last year on your blog....and the difference is amazing...greatly encouraging!

saz x

Chic Mama said...

That's good news....well done for forgetting. Hope you are okay. Sorry I will catch up, just a bit frantic at the moment. x

BS5 Blogger said...

June 24th, 2010: 1 year , six months , ten days :-)

Steve said...

Sometimes the ability to forget is an indication of how far into the healing process we are...

mrsnesbitt said...

What a thoughtprovoking post! Last night I had a row with hubby - only down to the fact I got blathered on my birthday! In my "Year in the Life of Mrs Nesbitt" which starts today - I have some thinking and appreciating to do. Dxxxxx

nick said...

Well, I guess there are other important dates and anniversaries that have taken the place of that one. Like meeting Significant Other. And moving into your own home.

Rob-bear said...

A date forgotten, good perhaps (as others have mentioned), yet sad. Something that was, that "could have been."

But you have already started new traditions, which will lead to new anniversaries. Which I hope will bring their own blessings and joys.

Furtheron said...

Mine is tattooed in my head, but there again I've been lucky in that my marriage has to date continued to work.

We had a surprise party for my sister's 30th anniversary yesterday which was lovely.

I a bugger for dates - I can tell you all sorts of dates in my life... but funnily I can't remember the exact date I went to rehab - I'd have to work it out based on the day I stopped drinking which was a week and three days before I went to rehab. I struggle to remember Mum's date of death - I dealt well with that one, it is grieved for and done. Dad's on the other hand still engraved in my mind...

Rambling now I'll stop it !

Carol said...

I agree with Steve, I think that shows just how far along the healing process you have come. It is sad that things didn't work out but you have lots to look forward to :-)

C x

Rose said...

Forgetting this date has to be a good sign, Suburbia--you're moving on to bigger and better things in your life.

Liz Hinds said...

Same date as mine.

Glad you're healing well.
xx

P.S. Like BS5's comment!

Eternal Worrier said...

Ouch. .. Mine is the 6th June. I don’t think I’ll ever forget because it’s not only Derby Day but it’s also the anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy. Unless of course I get re-married and then I’d have a new day!

Would you get married again?

Barbara said...

Maybe its good that you forgot. You are moving on!

Letty - A Little Girl With A Curl said...

You needed to forget perhaps.

Wanted to comment because you had 13 comments and I am superstitious....