Almost daily diary!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Dear future employer

Dear Future Employer

Please will you consider me for a job? Any kind of job will do. I can cook, clean, iron, sew, communicate and smile. I can sort out arguing children, teach dyslexic students, design house interiors and I have a First Class hons degree in Social Policy and Sociology. At the moment I work in a job that I enjoy but no one notices me. No one says please or thank you and no one is valued. We are all just numbers. We are all dispensable one way or another; if our contract is permanent then we can just be made to feel worthless until we find something else. At the moment I work in a job that pays so little that I don't pay tax but that doesn't help when there's not enough money coming into the household in the first place. At the moment I work in a job where I can't get any more hours even though occasionally there are some spare, they never come my way. Should I ask why? Should I ask what I am doing or not doing that means I am not considered? If I do, will I be singled out for more of the same? Or am I taking it all too personally? At the moment I am working in a job where I work overtime for free at the drop of that hat. I am very willing to please. I only need 5 more hours per week paid work to be able to benefit from tax credits which I desperately need, I am happy to work for £1 an hour just to be able to get this help. Dear Future Employer, will you consider me?

13 comments:

nick said...

I'm sure there must be someone out there who would appreciate what you have to offer. Hope something comes up soon. Ideally something that means you can quit your present job and be treated as a person not a number.

Steve said...

Any future employer would be crazy not to employ you. Your current one needs to give you a payrise!

Tattieweasle said...

It's bonkers that you are willing and able to work and yet nothing is there but unless you find something you cannot benefit from Tax Credits. CRossing fingers for you that smething comes up and soon!

Rob-bear said...

Oh, dear, Sub! Horrid story. So sorry to learn your anguish. But this isn't new, is it?

Which leads to a problem.

Unfortunately, when future employers know you will work for virtually nothing, and put up with lots of abuse, they will think they can do the same. Not a cheery prospect.

Best not to include this note with any resume. It sounds like grovelling. Which doesn't go over very terribly well, even if you are grovelling.

Blessings and Bear hugs.

Suburbia said...

Hi Bear, no id never send this to an employer or anyone for that matter, just needed to get it off my chest!

Expat mum said...

Wow - a 1st class Hons degree. You brainiac you!

Suburbia said...

Degrees seem pretty useless job wise at the mo- can you tell I'm feeling sorry for myself?!

Maggie May said...

I know so well how you are feeling. All these big *institutions* can make you feel pretty useless. I wonder why they do this? It would be better all round to make people feel better not worse.
All I know is, from my own experience...... best not to make yourself stand out in anyway that they will see as negative because they latch on to that and make you feel worse.
My advice is to get the extra hours some place else. Easier said than done in this economic crisis.
Seems to me that you can be classed as over or under qualified so often.

Although I miss my working colleagues, I don't miss the awful way that management can make you feel about yourself.
Jobs for life don't exist anymore and loyalty doesn't seem to count for much either.
Hope you get the extra work so that you get the tax credits. My children are in similar situations too.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Suburbia said...

Maggie, I knew you'd know how I felt!
Thanks x

Looking for Blue Sky said...

I was so sad reading this, it's horrible when you are not valued at work, or bullied or belittled. And I also know all about being over qualified as I can't get a job at hours that I can manage. I don't know how to help, but it certainly sounds as though you should try and get a few more hours somewhere. And the very best of luck xx

Rose said...

I hope you can find something else that provides better working conditions and a better morale than your job right now, Suburbia--you deserve better.

I don't know exactly what your job duties include, but it makes me mad whenever I substitute teach to see the teacher's aides that work with children with learning disabilities not being appreciated. They are the lowest paid on the staff, yet the ones I know are so patient and compassionate. The students they work with one-on-one could never attend school without their help.

Anonymous said...

Its a nightmare trying to get a job at the moment. Everyone at every level seems to be struggling - good luck though :)

Liz Hinds said...

It's shocking that a woman of your qualifications and ability not to mention sheer loveliness is so badly treated. I hope you can find something better soon. x