Almost daily diary!

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sick as a fish!

Small Sprog has quite a few 'going to bed' tactics, I'm sure you can imagine? So when he says he feels sick, just as it's time to turn out the light, I'm often just a bit sceptical. It's the 'I need a drink of water' syndrome.

Last night, just as we turned the light out, he felt sick. "No you don't" I say
"I really do" he replies.
It's a bit 'cry wolf'.

I start to become exasperated. I tell him he can come back downstairs but only for a moment. I go off to find a bucket just in case - just in time in fact - Small Sprog is sick, poor thing. At least he is a good aim.

Consequently he is at home today, right as rain and slightly bored, which is a good thing, I don't want him to think taking a 'sick day' is fun.

So as we go to get Tall Girl from school this afternoon we have a conversation about fishing. He was watching a programme about fishing on TV last night to take his mind off feeling ill. "Did I tell you?" He says "That my friend has a fishing magazine and there is a picture of a boy with a massive carp that looks just like me?"
"Oh Small Sprog" I say sympathetically "You don't look anything like a big carp!"
He gives me a withering look. "No, the boy" he says "I look just like the boy holding the fish"

I giggle. He may have thought I was being silly but actually I was deadly serious. Hey Ho! I'll put my madness down to sleep deprivation. How do you account for yours?

11 comments:

Steve said...

Sense of humour... it's always the first thing to go when you're feeling a bit crook.

Maggie May said...

I can't really blame anything for my madness....... its just sort of natural!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

nick said...

I think Small Sprog needs a quick lesson in sentence construction. The way he worded it made your reply completely logical. Sleep deprivation is neither here nor there....

Looking for Blue Sky said...

We have lots of wolf crying here too and bed time avoidance, and he's 11 now!

Rob-bear said...

Poor lad. I do hope he is well recovered.

My madness. It could be working at Church, or sleep depravation. More likely it is a combination of the two. I could argue that I'm depraved because I'm deprived. Of sleep. Not sure it would work. People know me too well.

Furtheron said...

I just acknowledge my madness for what it is... insanity

Anonymous said...

Oh the madness, yes... I often talk to myself about that. I should imagine that one of the better of the comments that kids say to each other!

Rose said...

Sleep deprivation can cause all kinds of problems, but honestly even with a good night's sleep, I probably would have misunderstood his comment, too:) Glad he's feeling better.

Carol said...

Love that you thought he meant the fish!

I definitely get my madness from my parents...they are both mad as hatters and I wouldn't change it for the world :-D

C x

NitWit1 said...

Hope Small Smog is much much better and can get back to his music endeavors, as wewll as school.

Liz Hinds said...

I thought he meant the carp too!