Almost daily diary!

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Looking forward or looking back?

So how was it for you?! Did you look forward at New Year or backwards to past years? I reminisced about probably the worst New Year I can remember, which is quite funny now in hindsight, and also to other more special times spent at parties in great company.

The worst one was spent whilst living with a friend. She was bedridden with a bad back. I had moved there temporarily between homes and men, and she had lost her husband the previous year, so we were not in the happiest positions in the first place! She had been laid up with her back for some months and lived in her double bed amongst papers and letters and plates with half eaten dinners on them. It all lived under the duvet with her, only cleared out at intervals which were not regular enough! She liked it that way.

So we were both single at the time and on New Years Eve we drank wine together in her bed and cried! Another friend turned up later who's son had attempted suicide the day before. A happy bunch we all were then! However, it is interesting to look back at that time and realise that these things pass, quite quickly really, and better things turn up sooner or later.

This New Years Eve will be remembered, for me, as being the most unusual and unexpected I have experienced. I spent a fair bit of it listening to a friends marriage problems, which I had no idea about, though I thought I knew her so well. Not a very festive subject but memorable all the same!

Right now I find looking forward to New Years to come almost impossible. I have no idea where this year will go and so, as always, I am living in the past.



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your bad back new year sounds like an ideal reality tv project honey.

As you say, bad things pass quickly and better things replace them. May 2009 be a good one for you.

Working Mum said...

I'm all for being positive. Only way to get through the chaos!

Happy New Year to you - hope you find contentment.

Suburbia said...

Hulla, it wsa not me that was ill. It is looking back that I suffer from!

Liz Hinds said...

You're going to meet me in the New Year! How can you not be looking forward to that?!!

Jennysmith said...

Isn't it funny the worst of times stick in our memories despite the happier times that came after.

Its always the worst New Years Eve that comes up. Perhaps these harder times make us into stronger people.

xxxxx

Tim Atkinson said...

The great unknown that is the future, eh?

Kitty said...

I was a right misery this year on New Year's Eve. Didn't stay up to see in the New Year - went to bed and slept instead. I just hope 2009 shapes up better than 2008 did, or I'm running away and hiding and never coming out again!

I hope your 2009 turns out to be much happier than you think it might.

Take care. x

Saz said...

l'm a nostalgia freak too....thats why l run my business..keeps me back way back when...silly though...live for the moment is sometimes too scary..good day today though...checking in with in laws, scary but gotta be done...
to bed now early work tomorrow then 4 days off, hope to catch up with you....chin up...

MissKris said...

Happy New Year to you! I hope I don't offend you, dear Suburbia, but with my older eyes I'm finding your new color combo very hard to read. I guess I really AM an old codger now, hahaha!

BS5 Blogger said...

Keep cheerful! :)

Rose said...

My goal this year is to live in the present. Not easy, as I am always looking back or to the future. Of course, sometimes when things are bad, looking ahead is the best thing to do. I hope that 2009 is a good year for you, Suburbia, and that the clouds reveal the sun shining behind them.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's natural that on the last day of the year people will look back and think of the miserable things that have happened as well as the enjoyable things. But I always find going into the new year and having no idea what will happen in the next twelve months rather exciting.

Akelamalu said...

Last year wasn't too bad in the scheme of things - highs and lows and I suppose 2009 will be much the same. :)

VioletSky said...

I'm hoping 2009 turns out to be so much better than you fear.

Maggie May said...

What a bad year that must have been!
Hope all the people involved eventually got over everything and got on with happier lives.

I tend to wonder these days, what the year holds for me and am a bit sad when I think of the people that I have 'lost'. A bit morbid really.We drink wine and open the door to let the new year in. It is surprising how few people open their doors. We get a lot of fireworks!

Letty - A Little Girl With A Curl said...

oh I dislike New Year with a passion.It is so bloody false and so "enforced jollity" almost to the point of hypocritical. It is just another day in my view.

this year for the first year ever, HWMNBO and I, went to bed before Midnight, and lay in our bed listening to the hullabaloo going on outside, and happy in our own skins.

Happy that we had imbibed some nice sparkley earlier, and some good wine, we were pleasantly La La, but not drunk, so no hangovers in the morning. Happy too we were not getting maudlin or over ambitious with our new year resolutions.

Also very happy we were warm and snuggly under the duvet!

New Year is sad, because you look to the past and look to the future and sometimes both seem equally bleak.

No worries, 2009 is going to be a good year despite the gloomy atmosphere, trust me, I feel it in my Letty Bones..............

No one has any idea what will happen next, this is part of the excitement of living and the dread too.

However it sometimes helps to live in the past for a wee bit too.

Memories good and bad, but in my opinion, which is very humble, Today is the Best Time!

Another epistle form Letty, sorry, but I have not blogged or commented for ages, so it must be Cold Turkey or something.

Letty ;0)

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I sincerely hope that you had a good New Years... and that this new year of yours will find you much happier and more contented than you've been.

Hugs!


Scarlett & Viaggiatore